Monday, January 2, 2012

2012- A New Year :)

Come to Me with a teachable spirit, eager to be changed.
A close walk with Me is a life of continual newness
Do not cling to old ways as you step into a new year.
Instead, seek My Face with an open mind, knowing that your journey with Me
involves being transformed by the renewing of your mind.
As you focus your thoughts on Me, be aware that I am fully attentive to you.
I see you with a steady eye, because My attention span is infinite.
I know and understand you completely; My thoughts embrace you in everlasting Love.
I also know the plans I have for you: plans to prosper you and not to harm you,
plans to give you a hope and a future.
Give yourself fully to this adventure of increasing attentiveness to My Presence.

-Jesus Calling, January 1
These words are so refreshing to my soul.  There is something exciting and refreshing about a new year.  In reality it's just the roll of the clock to another day but with the new day comes such hope and anticipation for what's to come.  There is also a feeling of wanting to see change in my own life.  In years past I have made New Year's resolutions only to break them shortly after...like really shortly after.  Last year I tried to be as specific as possible but that only made it worse.  I'm just not good at following through with things.

What I really want is my life to reflect true repentance in areas that aren't glorifying to the Lord, bear fruit, and live under God's grace.  I do desire change in certain areas but I know that those kinds of changes don't just happen in a year--living the gospel out is kind of a life-long process. :)  

This year, I have set some goals for myself (maybe that will help because they aren't called resolutions :))

  • Fall more in love with Jesus- talk with him more (& LISTEN :)) throughout the day & memorize passages of scripture
  • Pray with my husband more- for each other, for others, be united in prayer
  • Be more intentional about loving my husband in HIS love language and not mine. (Mine is words of affirmation.  His is acts of service...I naturally use words to express my love for him & he always says "actions speak louder than words".)
  • Be a better long distance friend.  Return phone calls.  Call friends FIRST.  Write letters & notes just to say that I am praying for & thinking about them.  (Joanna, Sarah, and Vanne--I love you so, so much.  I am so sorry that I suck at this.)
  • Be more generous with my time AND money
  • Keep healthy food in our house, make healthy meals, & don't go out to eat as much.  (If we want to be around & healthy for our future children, this needs to happen.)
These are things that I am excited about in 2012:
  • I am running my first ever Half Marathon February 26th- the Disney Princess Half :)
  • My sister in law is getting married June 7th- fun times for the fam
  • A very exciting thing happening for two people I love very much (can't say just yet)
  • We haven't planned it yet & my very frugal husband doesn't know yet, but we WILL go on a vacation with JUST the two of us :)...don't know when or where but it's happening
  • Investing in our friends lives more & lots of fun hang out times
  • Making our house a little bit more "ours"...doing some work in our yard & painting rooms
Happy 2012 Blog Friends! :)

3 comments:

Courtney said...

I'm so jealous you're running the Disney half! That's on my bucket list and I want to do it soooo bad!!
And I think it's funny you brought up love languages. That's part of mine and Jeremy's goal this year too, only ours is opposite of yours. Jeremy has words of affirmation and I have acts of service. I came home today and Jeremy had packed up all of our Christmas decorations and put them away. It made me feel SO loved! Good luck with your goals this year, you have some GREAT ones!!

Audra said...

Thank you! :) It's hard having such opposite love languages but it's also wonderful because you can really see when they try and that makes you feel even more loved. :) What a precious thing your hubby did. I'm super excited about the half marathon but I stopped running during Christmas because my whole family was here and I'm a little scared about how rough it will be to get back on my training schedule.

Happy New Year to you friend. :)

sarah said...

audra, i love you so much! and you totally know that i'm not a very good long distant friend, i'm sorry about that too! i'll add that to my new year's resolution list :) so far i have two:

1. to make each bride+groom's wedding experience and day so special for them
2. to hug my family and friends more (i know this sounds kind of weird, but you know that is way out of my comfort zone and it's the last thing on my love language list.. so i figured this year i'm going to try to get better at showing others love that way) :)
{and now 3. be a better long distance friends :)}

love you so much! miss you!